Recent comments on posts in the blog:

Following the discussions, Replicant is currently thinking about earlier, SDK-focused ports, and F-Droid expressed interest in freeing the SDK&NDK they use (although the diversity of the packages means all SDK platform versions need to be available).

I think it's important to keep rebuilding and testing the dev tools, to assess feasibility and raise confidence.

Comment by beuc Wed Oct 7 12:07:21 2015
Comment by beuc Sun Oct 4 11:13:32 2015

Interesting projects.

• bbqlinux: we could approach Arch, which provides a binary package/wrapper for the SDK, so they package an independent rebuilt instead
  • linuxonandroid: running Debian inside Android, not really relevent here I think
  • androidx86: running Android on PC - I believe this is now officially supported by Android?
Comment by beuc Sun Oct 4 11:13:00 2015

Interesting that Google cloned Java and is now throwing roadblocks.

I wonder if running this as a VM client inside Debian helps: http://bbqlinux.org/ http://linuxonandroid.org/ http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=androidx86

And linux tools in Andorid are GPL

Comment by Anonymous Thu Oct 1 23:36:04 2015
Quite interested and with lots of powerful resources ;) let's talk about I can also support for Debian package too nigifabio (at) gmail.com
Comment by Anonymous Thu Oct 1 22:47:58 2015

I'd welcome help figuring out how to publish a full SDK in Debian.

I'm pretty sure that we'll get loads of nitpicks over duplicate (and patched) GCC versions and not following the FHS, need to generate 10-20GB source tarballs, patches to deal with different build dep versions (they standardize on Ubuntu LTS), etc. Also the SDK itself, even already large, is just an empty shell, and requires to download "API platforms", some of them built long ago and requiring an old build environment to be reproduced.

We could also find a completely new way to build the SDK/NDK/etc. in a more modular fashion, possibly incompatible with other dev tools for Android - probably what the Debian Android Team has been trying for the past 5 years ;)

Having the SDK in Debian would be really nice - but how? Suggestions?

Comment by beuc Thu Sep 24 09:57:56 2015
Each time I think of writing code for Android I wonder why I have to download the SDK as a massive tarball from Google. It would be so much better the tools from the SDK could be packaged and included in Debian.
Comment by edward Wed Sep 23 11:11:38 2015

I'm sure I remember the restriction in point 3.3 b "[You may not] load any part of the SDK onto a mobile handset or any other hardware device except a personal computer" from when I've read the terms and conditions of the SDK back in the times of Android 1.4 - 1.6 when I decided that I didn't want anything to do with the binary SDK and tried to build it myself; it wasn't the only reason, so probably at least some other conditions were already there.

I had some success with 1.4, but then I've never had a computer powerful enough to build the SDK and just decided to ignore it and maybe hope that one day the SDK would have been available in Debian as a package.

Comment by Anonymous Tue Sep 22 07:48:56 2015
I wonder if any of it is packagable?
Comment by Anonymous Mon Feb 25 00:42:29 2013
Thanks, I've tried, unfortunately it seems that the "space" button is map to my ok button, which is right near the arrow keys , and quite weird but remapping it on "a" using the menu at the beginning does not work (and actually my actual space key does nothing, so I'm wondering if there's no some "bug" with that key code), so I'm wondering if it could be possible for the android port to map it to A as anyway it would be transparent for people playing with touch screen, and much convenient for people using keyboard.
Comment by Anonymous Wed Jan 23 15:37:37 2013